Our Vision

 We are the church God called to RECONCILE the lost back to Christ, RESTORE the saints to position of their priesthood, and to RELATE to the needs and concerns of the surrounding community

Our History

New Monumental Baptist Church was organized in 1892 by the Rev. H. J. Johnson. It was first called the Mt. Zion Baptist Church and the meetings were held in a rented building at the corner of Eighth and Chestnut Streets. Rev. Johnson served as pastor of the church for five years. The next pastor of the church was Rev. Varner of Macon, Georgia, whose tenure of service was very short. In 1903, Rev. J. B. Miller became pastor of the church and during his tenure the name of the church was changed to New Monumental. Shortly after this time, a building on Douglas Street was acquired to house the growing congregation.

Rev. Miller was succeeded by Rev. M. M. Ward. Under his brilliant leadership, the church experienced great increase in membership. When he resigned to accept a church in Indianapolis, Indiana, the congregation extended a call to Rev. L. T. Simpson. He accepted the call and served as pastor for a short time. The next pastor was Rev. M. W. Moore. He was a dynamic speaker and he served the church longer than any of his predecessors. He was called to his eternal reward in 1920.

The church then called Rev. J. A. Wimberly of Atlanta, Georgia. During his leadership, a division arose and some of the members followed him in the organization of a new body called the Olivet Baptist Church, which is now located on Martin Luther King Boulevard. On the fifth Sunday in July 1922, Rev. G. W. Sanderfur was installed and the installation sermon was preached by Dr. A. M. Townsend. Under Rev. Sanderfur's leadership, the edifice at 715 East Eighth Street was erected. It was begun in May of 1928 and completed in November of the same year. The dedication sermon was preached by Rev. L. K. Williams, President of the National Baptist Convention.

Since the administration of Rev. Sanderfur, New Monumental has had six pastors. They are as follows: Rev. Roy D. Morrison, Rev. William C. Upshaw, Rev. J. B. Outlaw, Rev. John N. Cooper, Jr., Rev. Dr. Virgil J. Caldwell (Dr. Caldwell observed his fortieth anniversary as pastor on August 10, 2008. In December 2008, he retired as minister of New Monumental), and Pastor Roderick L. Ware, the current pastor.

Under Dr. Caldwell's extraordinary leadership, the church launched a building program in 1983 and by June of 1984, a sizeable addition to the church building had been erected. This addition included a library and a spacious recreation room.

In 1995, New Monumental underwent a complete renovation so that its sanctuary was one of the most elegant and picturesque edifices in the city of Chattanooga. On the Third Sunday in May of 2001, New Monumental experienced a great blessing, which will go down in history as one of the highlights of our church. On that date, we moved from the building at 715 East Eighth Street to our present location at 901 Woodmore Lane. Because of UTC's Expansion Program, the changing demographics of this neighborhood and, most importantly, because of God's Love and Care, we moved into this spacious facility which allows us ample opportunity to provide numerous services to our congregation and the community at large.

In June of 2009, Rev. Roderick L. Ware was installed as the Pastor of the historical New Monumental Baptist Church. Under the leadership of Pastor Ware, New Monumental has grown tremendously in membership, discipleship and outreach. Since 2009, the church has had renovation to the exterior of the church campus as well as many upgrades to the interior. We now offer Youth Church, Children's Church, and a nursery which enables us to minister effectively to our growing and diverse congregation. In 2010, Pastor Ware cast the vision for New Monumental to adopt our local Woodmore Elementary School. The church unanimously agreed and now logs over 3000 volunteer hours each school year while also volunteering at Dalewood Middle and Brainerd High School. Numerous ministry opportunities & programs have been added at New Monumental to aid in restoring communities and families. 

New Monumental believes in Christian Education and Mission, both Home and Foreign. Evidences of these concerns can be seen in our partnerships and sizable contributions to the agencies which support these causes. With God as our Father and Christ as our mediator, we continue to “press toward the mark of the high calling…” We are a church that is called to RECONCILE the lost back to Christ, RESTORE the saints to the position of their priesthood, and RELATE to the needs and concerns of the surrounding community. The Best Is Yet To Come!